James L.S. Bowdish
Fax: (772) 223-4351
James L.S. Bowdish is a senior member of the firm and its Chief of Litigation. Jim practices primarily in general civil litigation in federal and Florida courts, including contract and business litigation, corporate and shareholder disputes, corporate breakups and dissolutions, probate and trust litigation, real property litigation, and hospital and healthcare litigation (including extensive experience in medical staff privileges matters). He is experienced and active as a Florida Supreme Court certified circuit court civil mediator and a Florida Supreme Court certified Arbitrator and a member of the panel of neutrals in the commercial division of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) where he has handled numerous commercial and business claims as well as healthcare disputes in claims exceeding $1 million. He has also handled numerous appeals to the Florida Fourth District Court of Appeal.
Jim is board certified by the Florida Bar in the area of Civil Trial Law and is “AV” rated by Martindale Hubbell for over 30 years and is also a Florida Super Lawyer. He is a member of the Florida Bar’s Probate and Trust Litigation Committee. He has served as past president of the Martin County Bar Association, and was appointed twice by Governor Jeb Bush to serve on the 19 th Judicial Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission from 2001-2002 and 2003-2007. He served two terms as President of United Way of Martin County and three terms as a member of the Vestry of St. Mary’s Episcopal Church. He also served four years as a Captain in the U.S. Army JAGC handling courts-martial, including the first of the My Lai Massacre cases to go to trial during the Vietnam War. He graduated with honors from both Wake Forest University and Stetson Law School.
- The Florida Bar, 1969 – present
- United States Court of Military Appeals (1969)
- United States Supreme Court (1973)
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida, including Trial Bar (1976)
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- United States Courts of Appeal, Fifth and Eleventh Circuits
- Martin County Bar Association (President, 1985-86)
- Judicial Liaison Committee (Past Chairman)
- Committee on Judicial Polls and Evaluation (Past Chairman)
- Nineteenth Judicial Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission (Appointed twice by Gov. Bush, 2001-2002; 2003-2007)
- Florida Super Lawyer, 2006, 2007 and 2008
Alternative Dispute Resolution Qualifications
Mediation: American Arbitration Association Mediation Course (1994); Florida Certified Circuit and County Court Mediator (1995); Participation as an advocate in numerous mediations in Circuit Court cases since mid-1980s. Arbitration: Certified Florida Circuit Court Arbitrator (1996); Member of Panel of Neutral Arbitrators, American Arbitration Association
Civic and Community Service
- St. Mary’s Episcopal Church (Past Vestryman and Senior Warden)
- Stuart Kiwanis Club (Member since 1973)
- Stuart Rod and Reel Club (Past President)
- United Way of Martin County (Past President for two terms)
1969-1973 Captain, U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps; participated as Chief Military Defense Counsel in first of My Lai Massacre courts-martial cases to be tried in 1970; participated as defense counsel, and later prosecutor in numerous Special and General Courts Martial over a three year period; concluded military service as Chief of Military Justice, 1st Cavalry Division, Ft. Hood, Texas; honorable discharge (1973).